Most of my pages in Google chrome on Ubuntu 10.10 were showing text in bold and italics. I tried changing the default font settings of the browser, but those were okay. Then I tried to change the chrome theme, but that didn’t work either. Then I found a couple of threads that addressed the issue, but they were all directed towards Windows platforms. The essence of the idea, though, worked even in Ubuntu, when implemented a bit differently.
In Windows, I guess you have to open the Arial font from your Windows/Fonts folder. That should do the trick, according to the online forums. If not, try reinstalling it.
In Ubuntu, I instead installed all the Microsoft fonts. This you do by typing in the terminal:
$ sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
Wait for all the fonts to download and install. Then restart the browser. It worked for me.
Hope Google gets rid of this in future versions.